Trying to install Vista on a machine and getting a blank screen after one of the reboots?
This could be caused by an incompatible display driver. I solved this problem by:
- Reboot the machine and hit F8 to get the Windows boot menu.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking.
- Vista will boot then will complain that it cannot continue with the installation in Safe Mode. Do not hit OK!
- Press Shift + F10 to get a command window.
- Run Device Manager by entering ‘devmgmt.msc’.
- Right click the video card and select Update Driver.
- Choose ‘Select a Driver’.
- Select ‘Choose from a list’.
- Click on the generic VGA driver and hit Next to install it.
- Close the wizard, close the Device Manager, close the command prompt.
- Click OK on the installation message and Vista will reboot.
- Finish the install, create a restore point, then install the correct video driver.